CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 10

First Grade Funnies and Calendar Flipchart for Second Semester

I love lilstening to first graders.  They say some of the funniest things.  Here are a couple I've heard in the last two days:
"My Grandmother is taking me to ANTlanta in a few weeks."

As a girl is reading to me she reads, "Last week Jesus went to space in a spaceship."  The word was Jessie, not Jesus.  She never even stopped to question what she was reading!

This morning, I hear two children arguing about last night's BCS game (Roll Tide, by the way!).  One is saying "the game was in New Orleans".  The other is arguing, "no, the game was in the United States."

On to the calendar...  At the beginning of the year, I posted about my calendar flip chart for the Promethean Board.  I e-mailed many of you a copy of it.  Well.. it "expired" in December.  So, I thought it was probably time to post the second semester version for those of you who want it.  This flip chart will only work with the Promethean Board!  Please let me know if you would like me to e-mail you a copy.  Promethean Planet is not cooperating and I can't get it to upload there.  I'll try again.
Here are a few pictures of what it looks like.
First page (I removed "today is, tomorrow will be...).  Each month you can change the calendar by: Retyping the name of the month and deleting the image of the January calendar.  The images for February-May are stacked behind January.
Each song title is linked to a page with an audio file of that song and the lyrics
A page to practice place value, odd/even and greater than/less than.  I like to write addition or subtraction sentences or initials for coins (Q, D, N, P) on the Greater than/less than part to make it more of a challenge.
A place to practice money.  I've removed the coin poems (hopefully by now everyone knows the coin names and values).  I added the bills-- oooh, aaah!
A place to practice composing a number.  Sometimes I like to create a challenge: Example - ways to make 16
I might write one that says 76- ____ = 16  or ____ + _____ + _____ + _____ = 16 (your answer must be the same number all four times)
 Keep those extra smart kids busy with the challenge while others are creating their problems!

17 comments:

Miss Kindergarten said...

How cool!!! Now I wish I had a promethium board! And first graders are hilarious!

Unknown said...

I need to build my third quarter slides. ok am going to use some of your ideas. Thanks!

Unknown said...

I am not ok am! Sorry this dang tablet is crazy!

Lisa Lizak and Beth Wright said...

These are AWESOME! I will love using them on my Smartboard :) Thanks!!! Hope you're having a great Tuesday!

Lisa :)
Made In The Shade In Second Grade

Hamilton's Blog said...

Would love a copy!
Thanks so much!
jhamilton@nafcs.k12.in.us

Vickie said...

I miss my Promethean Board so much!!!
Vickie

Mindy said...

I would love a copy! Thanks for sharing!

mindy.mccage@barrow.k12.ga.us

Kristy said...

I know what you mean about first graders and the funny things they say. Yesterday, we were reading about animals in winter and one of my firsties read, "Bears and woodchuckers". I just had to chuckle!
Teachin' First

Tracy said...

I HAVE a promethean board...I would LOVE a copy of your flip chart. I swore to myself I would make more of my own this year...hasnt really happened yet...
Thanks for sharing. I plan to use this during math rotations. My class loves to "play" teacher...LOL

Tracy said...

oops, forgot my email...
mommaroose@gmail.com
Tracy

Anonymous said...

Love this calendar, used the other one first semester and would love to have a copy for the second semester! It's awesome!! Thank you!

my email is: jamiew6600@aol.com

Jeni said...

I would love a copy of this! I just got my promethean board this week and am anxious to get my calendar stuff on it! You do a lot of the same things that I do, so I am very excited to see one that is already so similar to my "vision"! My email is jshuffman@wsfcs.k12.nc.us Thank you!

Chelsea said...

Hello! I just found your wonderful blog and your calendar flipchart! I know you said it had expired, but I would love a copy if you don't mind sharing so that I can edit it for my classroom in the fall. My email address is chelsearjewell@gmail.com. Thanks for your willingness to share!

shawnamarie10 said...

Hello! I just found this and you are seriously a life saver! I just figured out (was trained) on how to use the wonderful promethean board in my first grade room, but alas, no time to learn how to make a flip chart! Would love a copy! Thank you a million. shawna.armentino@gmail.com

laurapeden said...

I teach kindergarten, but your calendar chart is awesome!. Could you please email me a copy? Thanks a lot! Laura Peden lpeden@pbl.k12.il.us

Donelle said...

I teach first grade and I would love a copy of your calendar flipchart board!
Thank you!
donelle.welch@milaca.k12.mn.us

Unknown said...

Please send me your calendar flipchart board. I love it! I would really appreciate it! Thank you!

amynorris747@gmail.com