CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, October 4

Directed Drawing -- Spider Webs

Each October I love to have my kids draw spider webs.  It is a great activity to practice listening skills (they all need more help with that!) and to learn how to use a ruler as a straight edge.  It's also a great way to teach math vocabulary like vertical, horizontal, diagonal, half, fourths, eighths, middle, equal, and so on.

Start by giving each child an 8 X 8 piece of black construction paper.  Have them find the center of the paper and put a dot.  I walk around and see if they put their dot close to the center.  It doesn't have to be perfect, but it should be close.



Then they will use a ruler to draw a vertical line down the middle and a horizontal line across the middle.  As they are drawing at their desk, I create one with them step by step on the Promethean Board.

Next, they will need to draw the diagonal lines.  I have them start at the center and draw towards the corner, four times (instead of making two longer lines).  This helps those who didn't get their dot exactly in the center of the paper.
After all the lines are drawn they will make four dots on each line.  This is the part you will need to model explicitly.  Many will want to draw their dots super close together, or draw more than four.  (I drew mine more as lines, instead of dots, so they would show up in the picture.  I don't have the kids make them that big).
After all the dots are drawn, they will connect the dots.  This part can be a little tricky.  So you'll need to model it a couple of times before they do their own.  I show them two different ways.  One way is to draw straight lines to connect the dots.  The other way is to draw swooped lines.  I show them both and let them decide.  Most know their own artistic (and spatial) abilities and choose appropriately :) 
In my example, I used silver Sharpie (which turned out looking pretty good).  I usually have the kids draw with pencil.  Then a parent volunteer or I go back and trace over the lines with silver glitter glue.  They turn out so cute (even those children that don't follow your directions at all still end up drawing a spider web-- it looks more like a web you've just walked through instead of one a spider just built, but no the less it's still a web!)

I'm planning to do this activity next week with my firsties.  I'll post pictures after they make theirs.

3 comments:

Chrissy said...

Thanks for sharing. I love this idea! I can't wait to try it.
http://www.firstgradefoundme.blogspot.com

Chrissy said...

I just needed to add... I just pinned your webs to pinterest. They're so great!

Anonymous said...

Super cool! We marble painted spiderwebs today. I might have to attempt your web!